Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ail Fionn reviews

I just found a couple of favourable mentions of Ail Fionn on an online psych-folk community forum.

Inge, me and Annelise outside Massat church

"I think music played by musicians who do it for love and without fear for economic survival generally turns out best. I can imagine this group playing somewhere in William Morris's "Bringing the News from Nowhere"".

I don't know that William Morris book (actually called News from Nowhere - "Bringing the News from Nowhere" turns out to be a song about Morris by Leon Rosselson), but having just read about it, I think that might be the nicest thing anyone's ever said about us! We were always flattered when, busking our own stuff, we'd be stopped and asked by an attentive listener which part of the world our music came from (or when they mentioned the Incredible String Band, our favourite ensemble).

The photo above was taken outside the church in Massat, in the French Pyrenees, 1995. A couple of weeks ago, I got a message from Inge (the other half of Ail Fionn), who was again in Massat, touring with her new group, Youshka. Looks like we might be recording again in November...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home