Monday, November 16, 2009

Polish art film, Kazoomzoom.com

A few weeks back, I was contacted out of the blue by Marcin Blajecki, a Polish experimental filmmaker, to say that he'd used a bit of Children of the Drone as the soundtrack to a short film he'd made, called Vinculum. He asked for an address to send a DVD copy, so a week or so later, I had a copy. I couldn't make much sense of the film (very short, very minimal), but I noticed that, along with a bit of "A Narcoleptic UFO Club Patron Dreams of the Desert" (from COTD compilation 7), there's a recording of someone reading a list of prime numbers. This struck me as odd - Marcin had contacted the COTD email account, not me personally, so it seemed unlikely that he'd know about my interest in number theory (prime numbers in particular). I contacted him about this, and his reply was

"And of course I did not have any idea that you are a mathematician with special interest in prime numbers etc.
So - for me - it's kind of "metaphisical coincidence".... ;-)
I just found Children of the Drone webpage in net, liked it at first glance and thought: "That's it!"
"

I also learned a new word. A vinculum is the horizontal line between the numerator and denominator in a fraction. Not many people know that, as Michael Caine would say.

[note added 10/03/10: Marcin has just uploaded the film to Vimeon - it's here]

* * *

Around the same time, I was contacted by Katya at kazoomzoom.com, a seemingly-quite-groovy not-for-profit site featuring resources for parents and children (audiobooks, games, etc). She wanted to use some music I'd recorded with Jim, Joel, Stef and Inge in Dorset and the Pyrenees as soundtrack for an audiobook version of Rudyard Kipling's Just-So Stories. I even got to do an interview! (here). This is about as 'rock'n'roll' as Orbis Tertius? playing our first gig on a croquet lawn to raise money to resurface some local residents' association's tennis court, but perhaps some young brains will be positively influenced by our psychedelic noodlings...

kazoomzoom.com screenshot
kazoomzoom.com screenshot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home