Monday, March 06, 2006

Espers!

Philip from the Droners has just alerted me to the existence of the most wonderful American 'psych-folk' band - Espers, from Philadelphia.

This radio programme is the perfect introduction - it's from a Public Radio station in NYC, and features in-studio performances, an interview with all six members, and the band selecting some of their favourite records (obscure acid folk gems, mostly). They're clearly Incredible String Band fans, something one doesn't encounter a lot in the States (although I met one after playing a solo saz set in a coffeehouse in Wisconsin when I was recently over there).

Espers, playing recently at Fels Planetarium, Philadelphia
Espers, playing recently at Fels Planetarium, Philadelphia

Twelve minutes into the programme and I was already won over (they play a beautiful, gentle version of the traditional song "Black is the Colour").

It seems they're playing at the All Tomorrow's Parties Festival in Sussex in May (with Bert Jansch, Vashti Bunyan, and others). I think I'm going to have to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home