Sunday, December 08, 2019

Barbados Independence Day

Saturday 30th November 2019
Flo and Sam's house, Old Dover Road, Canterbury

Florence invited me to a party at her and Sam Brothers' house, jokingly themed as a joint Barbados Independence Day and Winston Churchill's birthday party. I ended up DJing, starting off with a set of Barbadian calypso and spouge (I'd rapidly educated myself in the history of Barbadian music that afternoon). We then had a flag raising ceremony outside (yes, Flo and Sam's housemate had sourced a genuine Barbadian flag) with me blasting the island's national anthem out of the window. Then it was a mix of down-tempo dance music and dub with Churchill speeches mixed in. Rather thematically, there was a genuine WWII bomb crater in the front garden, and a post-war bomb shelter/bunker built under the house (which Sam has converted into his guitar repair workshop).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home