Thursday, November 07, 2019

Crash of Moons with Codex Serafini, Punching Swans and The Ranch

Thursday 6th November 2019
UCA Bar, Canterbury

Another Crash triumph! Codex Serafini were a wonderful surprise. I knew our friend Harry Hayes was playing with them (they're Brighton-based I think) but didn't realise he was the drummer. They play their heavy drone-style rock in matching robes, faces hidden behind curtains of long hair, creating an otherworldly, ritualistic atmosphere. Punching Swans brought the punchy post-punk skronk from Medway, and The Ranch (from Malta) were back for their third Crash appearance with a brilliant new guitarist and album's worth of new material. Edgier and grittier than before, still very danceable and fun though.

Here are my mixes as resident DJ Professor Appleblossom. The drummer from Punching Swans came over during "Cruiser's Creek" by The Fall to say how much he was enjoying the selection ("Hit after hit!"), always a good sign. I even got a request (from a bloke about my age who'd come over to say I had "eclectic taste for such a young person"!!) for "Lies, and Then" by Psychic TV, which I never got round to playing. Not sure what I think about Psychic TV these days...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home