Friday, January 18, 2019

2017 into 2018

Here's one I just remembered, a lunchtime concert back in October:
 

Then there was this...

Thursday, 15th November 2018
Garage Coffee, Canterbury

...incredible communication between Taylor and Bailey. BT seemed to be making every imaginable sound with his viola other than the usual ones. A couple of days later:

17th November 2018
Deal and St. Dunstans, Canterbury

That was a special one. Got the train over early with Megan, got to spend some time chatting with Conrad, Graeme and Lewis before the gig. And what a gig! They've got a new album and an entirely new live set and no one else is playing music like this. Such an extraordinary collection of five odd, lovable, ultra-talented people in one band. We were about to run for a train back to Canterbury, but Megan managed to figure out a lift with James in his campervan, so I got to prepare my battered old laptop (last-minute Windows updates!) before arriving in St. Dunstans to play a DJ set at Matt Rose's birthday party: a mixture of rockers, roots, dub, funk, soul, hiphop, Afro and Ethio, went down pretty well. And nice to see a racially mixed crowd at a party in Canterbury. We were initially having trouble with cables, connections, etc. (borrowed equipment), and at exactly the right moment who appeared but Crash of Moons soundman Big Will (who I'd temporarily forgot was Matt's brother), in party mode, wearing a sparkly top hat, but more than happy to get the sound working. Thanks Will!

Mid-December Prof. Appleblossom was back in action, DJing at a 'Goddess Temple Midwinter Warmer' near the Westgate. More ecstatic dance vibes. Then it was off to Wisconsin to be with my mum for Christmas. I got there in time to be whisked off to a winter solstice (and full moon) gathering out in the country...took my saz, but no jams (despite most of the band Burnt Toast and Jam being in attendance). I did get to walk a labyrinth in the snow and have a great conversation with a member of the Menominee tribe from the nearby reservation. And there was a bit of carol singing around the fire. Mum and I listened to the Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge and later in the day I managed a few wonky carols on my saz. Boxing day I got taken out to the Northland Ballroom near Iola where Sloppy Joe were doing their weekly thing — only caught a few minutes at the end of their set before they went into open mic mode. But nice to see them all again. Back in Canterbury just in time for New Years Eve. Found myself DJing from 11pm to 7am at a rather lovely party in Harbledown, cycling home rather bleary in the early morning light. A week later I was in Seville visiting my sister's family. I didn't get to check out any music or flamenco this time, all I heard were a few street buskers. "Knocking on Heaven's Door", etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home