Friday, January 01, 2016

slippin' into the future

This was the first thing I heard in 2016. Vicky, Thom, Joanna and I ended up putting BBC6 Music on the radio just before midnight last night (a very chilled New Year's Eve!), and it's what Nemone (former Radio 1 DJ) decided to drop. I remember hearing it a lot on American "classic rock" radio in the 80s, being unimpressed and thinking Steve Miller had just been an opportunist rocker tapping in to the cosmic aspirations of the time, but I must admit it now sounds quite good:
 


 

Rather a different kettle of fish, this — possibly my favourite "new" discovery of 2015, an instrumental trio from Derbyshire. I came across them when searching for tunes to play during the last Crash of Moons Club night (I was delving into Fridge, Bibio and various glitchy, minimal electronica and "folktronica"):

And, of course, RIP Lemmy. I listened to the whole of Hawkwind's Space Ritual (on which he plays monster bass throughout and sings some of) today, thanks to dear Stan on his late-night WFMU show. And he also threw in this 1975 Hawkwind B-side (with honking Nik Turner sax and a violin solo!), which I'd not heard for years:
 

A nice quote from the great man relevant to this song: "And yes, I am the only person to fit the word 'parallelogram' into a rock'n'roll number! I'm very proud of that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home