Sunday, February 02, 2014

Selecting roots reggae on Fresh FM

Alan insisted on getting me involved with his weekly reggae radio show, Galanjah Selection, on Fresh FM, the community access station serving the top of the South Island of Aotearoa New Zealand. We did seven episodes in all — here are a couple involving me selecting and talking about tracks from some of my favourite roots reggae tracks.

part 1:

part 2:

Erratum: When introducing Mikey Dread's "Roots and Culture", I mistakenly imply that he was a second generation Jamaican Londoner in the late 70s. I should have known better. Michael Campbell established himself as a DJ and singer in Jamaica before moving over to London, even recording at Black Ark Studios with Lee "Scratch" Perry. There may be a few other minor factual distortions in some of what I say, too. I'm no reggae expert. The Israel Vibration album that I mentioned with the fake-Hebrew lettering on it isn't the one I remembered, I've since discovered. And so on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home