Monday, October 07, 2019

Jambinai

Friday 4th October 2019
Gulbenkian Theatre, UKC, Canterbury

I'd seen some stuff around the UKC campus about "Korea Day", presumably organised by the student Korean Society. When I saw reference to a live band, I derisively assumed it would be some tacky K-Pop. How wrong I was! Fortunately, I checked them out in advance and found this:

Concluding that they were Korea's answer to Godspeed You! Black Emperor, I quickly sent out word to various local friends who might appreciate them. In the end, the Gulb theatre was 1/3 full, but the band seemed incredibly appreciative and humbled that anyone had come out to see them. Rather like Godspeed's use of chamber strings, Jambinai use a variety of Korean folk instruments (the haegeum, a bowed one-string thing; the geomungo, like a kind of giant bass koto; the piri and taepyeongso, reed-based winds). Great washes of electric noise, extreme dynamics, minimal vocals, thunderous bass, epic finale, no encore...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home