Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Sarah Smith art commission

July 2018

I got in touch by email with Sarah Jones (once Sarah Smith, the saxophonist in the Cardiacs, who also played/sung in The Sea Nymphs) about the possibility of commissioning some artwork for my friend Andy (aka Sir Robert Bunkum)'s 50th birthday.

 

Her website is currently being overhauled, but at the time it was entirely gone, so I really wasn't sure if I'd hear back (here's the archived version of the site I'd found). I got a pleasant surprise a couple of weeks later when an unrecognised number showed up calling my phone while I was doing my laundry — I got a good feeling and answered...it was Sarah! And just as lovely as you'd expect if you were familiar with her work.

Despite being incredibly busy working and looking after seriously ill parents, she seemed determined to take this commission on, so pencilled in a date in her diary for "Andy painting"...and she came through with this piece of wonderfulness which, as Andy puts it "radiates good in all directions":

Here's the little dedication she included for Andy which references "On The Dry Land", as heard in that video:

Thanks again to Sarah, and to all of Andy's friends who were involved in crowdfunding this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home